Thursday, June 9, 2011

coming home to a mess

this is what i came home to today

Harper seems to be having separation anxiety issues.  She whines and barks at the top of her lungs once I leave the apartment.  I've tried kongs filled all sorts of goodies, bones, plush toys, a thunder shirt, a ridiculous pheromone plug-in thing, covering her crate, exercise, ignoring, 3 hour drills where I leave for increasing amounts of time, and so on.  I live in an apartment and I'm sure she's driving my neighbors nuts when I'm not there.  I finally decided to let her out of her crate while I'm gone.  It went okay for the first two days (at least that's what I assume... she wasn't barking when I got home), but today I came home to find shredded paper ALL over the apartment and my carpet peed on...

She's sleeping under my desk at work since I didn't have time to clean up her mess during my lunch break.  I'm at a loss.  Leaving her 'free' when I leave seems to have worked the best so far but I've been told that her separation anxiety will only increase if I continue to do this.  Fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment